Joseph Flavill has been in a coma for the past 10 months. He only recently woke up. And he had no idea about the virus — even though he had been infected twice, according to BBC News.
Wait, what happened?
Joseph Flavill, a 19-year-old boy, went into a coma after he was hit by a car in March 2020, which was right before the first lockdown in England.
- “It’s almost like he slept through the whole pandemic,” his aunt, Sally Flavill-Smith, told Staffordshire Live.
Flavill woke up only recently. But he didn’t know anything about the coronavirus pandemic.
- According to CNN, the United Kingdom had only 23 cases of the coronavirus at the time of Flavill’s accident on March 1. Most of the cases had been in China. There had been one death in the United States at the time as well.
- “When he comes out of this, life will not be as he knows it at all,” Flavill’s other aunt, Kate Yarbo, told CNN. “How do you describe it?
- “I think it’s going to be a shock. We’re all still processing it — I’m not sure you can ever actually describe how this pandemic feels.”
- “We are also very excited to report that Joseph has started to emerge slowly from his stage-two coma, and is beginning to respond to simple commands and stimulation,” the family wrote on the website Joseph’s Journey, which is dedicated to his recovery.